If you are looking for the best Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipe, look no further. Try my wonderfully moist, delicate and decadent recipe with a unique ingredient – Mayonnaise. It will be your new favorite.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works?
I remember the first time I ever had this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake was when I was a child and used to live in Saudi Arabia. My mom made this single sheet cake with yummy chocolate frosting, which we all loved. When my mom asked us to guess the secret ingredient, none of us three siblings got it right. And how could we? Who would have ever imagined that mayonnaise can give such silky and smooth texture with tender crumb that just melts away in the mouth?
This Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipe has stayed with me since then. I make this off and on to get compliments at friends gatherings and family get togethers. I love it when people are unable to guess how I managed to get the texture nearly perfect. Guess what? I am about to share my secret recipe with you all. Shhhh.
I love mayonnaise in my cakes and quick breads. Do try my 4-Ingredient Banana Bread recipe, it is super easy and delicious.
History and Origination
This cake recipe was first created in the United States back in the 1930’s during the time of Great Depression. According to the One-Bowl Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake published in the New York Times by Melissa Clark, a food blogger, the cake “born out of a scarcity of fresh eggs” during the Great Depression's era.
Other articles on the internet tell that during the Great Depression and World War II era, this cake recipe was published on jars of the mayonnaise available in the market dating back to 1937. Because there was a scarcity of butter and eggs, the mayonnaise filled the gap for the common man, who was still able to have a decadent chocolate mayonnaise cake on their tables. So, mayonnaise became a perfect substitute for Chocolate Cake. I must say whoever came up with this idea was a smart man or a woman.
Leavening agents (Baking Powder & Baking Soda)
I have tried many Chocolate Cakes in my days. When I want to enjoy the delicate crumb of chocolate cake with my cup of coffee especially during winters, I make this cake. It is one of the easiest cakes, both taste and texture-wise, you will ever have your hands on.
In my native Urdu language, we have a saying, “Azmaish Shart Hai”, meaning you have to try it to believe it. So – what are you waiting for? Get baking.
Allow to cool before frosting
Once the cake is baked, remember to let it cool down completely before pouring the ganache over it. If you will try to take out the cake of the pan, it can break very easily. And this comes from experience. I once tried to take it out of the pan immediately and the cake was in pieces all over my counter. The crumb of the cake is soft and it needs time to settle down before you can further use it.
You can serve it as-is or with the choice of your favorite nuts such as walnuts or pecans or even ice-cream will compliment the cake wonderfully.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answer is simple. Remember, mayonnaise is made up of eggs, vinegar and oil. That’s what mayonnaise does in this chocolate recipe, it replaces the eggs and oil.
I bet by now you might be wondering about the taste of mayonnaise in this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. Do we taste mayonnaise in this cake? Absolutely NOT. To tell you the truth, once you try this cake, you won’t even be able to even have a hint that there is mayonnaise in the cake. It is that good.
Yes, make sure that you use the full-fat mayonnaise for this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. The low fat mayonnaise will not give you the tender texture that you would want for this cake.
I use a 9 x 13 inch pan for this cake. But, traditionally, it was made in two 9 inches round pans. You can bake it in the pan of your choice and the way you like it.
How to Store
In the fridge: You can keep this cake refrigerated up to 3 days. Or you can freeze it for up to 3 months in the freezer.
In the freezer: For freezing, wrap up the cake in plastic wraps and add a layer of foil before putting it in the freezer. For this cake, I also recommend freezing it without frosting. When you are ready to use, simply take out the cake and put it on the kitchen counter to thaw for 2-3 hours.
More Recipes You'll Love
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Classy & Delicious newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake:
- 2 cups All-purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (5 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5 grams)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (50 grams)
- 1 ½ cup castor sugar (340 grams)
- 1 cup full fat mayonnaise (220 grams) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (5 ml)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (1.23 grams)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (225 grams/8 oz)
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream (180 ml)
- 1 tablespoon butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 13 x 9 inch pan with baking spray.
- In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and castor sugar together. Whisk well and set aside.
- In another bowl, add mayonnaise and whisk it.Add boiling water and vanilla essence to mayonnaise and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the pan in the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the cake for 25 – 30 minute or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The sides of the pan will start to pull away or shrink a little.
- Add the semisweet chocolate chips to a bowl and set aside.
- Take a saucepan and place it on the burner. Heat the cream and butter over medium heat while stirring constantly. Bring it just to a boil and pour it over the chocolate chips. Let it stand for a few minutes before stirring it. Keep whisking until you get a smooth, soft and fluffy texture.
Leave a Reply